News: Welcome to the brand new DSO Planner App Website... Please register!
December 07, 2019, 05:06:13 PM

Author Topic: Weather and/or seeing prediction integrated  (Read 1581 times)

StarChild

• View Profile
Weather and/or seeing prediction integrated
« on: December 10, 2015, 12:13:15 PM »
Hello

I'm new to this DSO Planner software, but I find it very attractive and usefull (for me at least). At the moment I am in "trial" with the free version, but so far it's very convincing, I still need to clarify another capability of the software, but that's on a different topic.

Especially I like the posibility to filter and have a list of objects visible with a certain piece of equipment in a certain location, at a certain date/time, or Moon illumination. This filtering also take into account the limiting magnitude of the sky in the observation spot, that's nice.

Now comes the question: do you think it's possible, or makes sense to have an automatic connection between DSO Planner and some weather forecast sites (accuweather, meteoblue, or such other sites...). Or even to connect to the wether widget from the android device on which DSO Planner is running (usually on 99.99% of Android devices such a widget is used)

In this way, it's possible to get some sort of "astronomical weather forecast/plann" exactly for the observation site, and to make a better planning of your observation time.
I hope I was clear enough in the description.

Good luck ! I wish you all a clear sky !  :)

StarChild
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 12:26:23 PM by StarChild »

halx

• Administrator
  • DSO Developer
    • View Profile
    • DobMod
Re: Weather and/or seeing prediction integrated
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 05:25:27 PM »
Hello, StarChild.

Thank you for the good words. In fact, we already have the Tools Module feature available right from the Main Screen of the app, which can help you to launch any apps you want to have at hand while planning your observations schedule. I have the Clear Sky Droid app there, which is the best for that if you are observing in USA or Canada. I know people from Europe having the Clear Outside app there exactly for that purpose. I think, that's exactly what you are asking for. So, just install one of those (or some other) apps on your device for the local astronomy weather forecasting and use DSO Planner mini Launcher tool to insert it into the list of your planning apps. If you have a better idea of the weather information integration - please don't hesitate to describe in details how you are envisioning it working.

Clear Sky!
-Alex

StarChild

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 06:17:52 PM »
Hi Halx

The ideea was to use weather & seeing data when apply "use visibility for layers" check option. This option uses now the defined equipment capability and sky limiting magnitude, see attached screen shot.

In addition to that, by using the 3rd  parameter (seeing, transparency) from a weather server you may achieve a more accurate and realistic star chart. This was my meaning.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 06:31:30 PM by StarChild »

halx

• Administrator
  • DSO Developer
    • View Profile
    • DobMod
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 06:41:51 PM »
I see your point now. But I don't think it is viable, as in most of the cases these forecasts are way too broad being done for a large region. Even though the Clear Dark Sky predictions are very precise, I'm often having a different visibility, as I'm not exactly on the location they have data produced. Also there is no way to accustom for short periods or sky locations of good visibility which are unpredictable. I'm sure you don't want to miss an interesting galaxy at the edge of your instrument capabilities just because the app used an average transparency limit for the entire geographic region and filtered it out of your list. Besides, I don't aware of any scientific work which we can use as a base to establish a proper correlation between some weather web site's stated transparency value with DSO visibility precisely enough. Our current visibility filter is using the well known papers and formulas on DSO visibility calculation from the zenith limiting magnitude, instrument, and DSO object parameters (that's a know how, though).
-Alex

StarChild

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 09:01:30 PM »
Oh I see now what are the challenges. I thought it will be easier to integrate somewhere or somehow in formulas some "transparency factor" or "seeing factor" read from weather sites. Nevermind, this was a "nice to have" feature request, not a "must have" one  ::)