News: Welcome to the brand new DSO Planner App Website... Please register!
December 07, 2019, 05:24:03 PM

Author Topic: Search objects by common name  (Read 1406 times)

adarsha joisa

• View Profile
Search objects by common name
« on: February 10, 2016, 02:24:30 PM »
I'm using the DSO Planner Pro version, and one feature I would really like to see is a search option by object name. For example, if I search for Omega Centauri, it returns 0 results, but if I search for C80, I get a result, with "Omega Centauri" in the "other" section. The same problem for the nearby Centaurus A, and several other objects. There are many instances where I feel it's easier to remember common names of objects, but I can't remember a catalog designation. I end up searching elsewhere to see if the object is part of any catalog to try and find the catalog number, so that I can find it in DSO planner. It'd be great to have the option to search for common names for objects, and not having to remember catalog numbers/designations for each object.

halx

• Administrator
  • DSO Developer
    • View Profile
    • DobMod
Re: Search objects by common name
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 06:12:14 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Adarsha!
We do have a very robust search engine in DSO planner already. However, the issue you are experiencing is not about that feature but rather about the lack of enough common names registered in the official databases, which we have integrated in the app, i.e. there are simply no common names in the standard NGC/IC database. Your example with the Omega Centauri is just a coincidence, as several integrated databases (such as the Steve Gottlieb's SGNotes one) have that common name mentioned in their custom database fields (usually "notes" or "description") for the NGC5139. It is counterproductive to search the entire database for an arbitrary text entry anywhere in it, as they are huge and it will take a lot of time to process every record. That's why we are searching only in the name1 and name2 (short and long name respectively) columns in all of the databases available for the app.

But the solution is very simple and doesn't require any changes in the app, as it has a fantastic databases management engine. If you can find the electronic list (worksheet, database, text) of DSO common names referencing some official DSO designations - you can simply import it into DSO planner and have exactly what you are asking for - DSO search by its common name. The file records for proper import should look like: &name1:official name;name2:common name; e.g.

Code: [Select]
&name1=NGC5139;name2=Omega Centauri;

See the Knowledge base for more details. Also, you can gradually compile such a list yourself from varied sources right on the phone, adding new records as you find new common names (i.e. in various languages) for various DSO objects, and then proudly share the resulting database with DSO Planner users on the dedicated forum's board like here.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 06:35:19 PM by halx »
-Alex

halx

• Administrator
  • DSO Developer
    • View Profile
    • DobMod
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 02:09:22 AM »
An important, rater conceptual remark to the above advise 8)

When you start searching for the common name in your new Common Names database (CND), obviously only the records from your CND will be found and retrieved. So, if they don't have object's coordinates - you wouldn't be able to tap the Star Chart button as usual and see it on the Star Chart. But for that we have another even cooler feature integrated, which you most likely have noticed already, but I'm sure didn't recognize it's tremendous power yet. Here is what it is.

When you click on the search result record, you will be presented the Object Details screen with the information available from the particular database the selected record belongs to (note the second line in the search results, that's the database name) - standard behavior. However, in case the same object is registered by one of its names (name1 or name2) in some other installed database (user or integrated one) - then at the very bottom of the scrollable list of the object's parameters you will see the "More" button. Tap it to expand the list further with all of the object information available from every other database (common standard data fields, such as coordinates, magnitude, dimensions, will be automatically removed). The new list will be divided by headers with the database names where additional object records were found. Now, if you tap on one of the headers you will be prompted to open the new Object Details screen with the information and most importantly the functionality of that database. So, you will be able to see the "Image" and the "StarChart" buttons at the bottom of the Details screen. On Back button you can return to the previous Details screen. And vice-versa - while going to the Details Screen from the Star Chart by tapping over the NGC/IC object info on it, you can tap the More button and review if the common name is available for that object in your CND.

Try that!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 03:16:18 PM by halx »
-Alex

leonid

• Administrator
  • DSO Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 09:51:50 AM »
Fixed. You could now search by the part of the common name