News: Welcome to the brand new DSO Planner App Website... Please register!
December 07, 2019, 04:33:39 PM

Author Topic: Instrument FOV in Star Chart  (Read 4601 times)

StarChild

• View Profile
Instrument FOV in Star Chart
« on: December 10, 2015, 12:41:30 PM »
Hi

Here bellow attached is a picture of the Star Chart screen where I  have 5 EP's shown.

The instrument is 120 F5 refractor, with the following eyepieces:
Ethos 13mm
Ethos 8mm
Takahashi LE 7.5mm
Takahashi LE 10mm
Takahashi LE 24mm

I let you guess which circle is for which EP ?!?  :P

Is it possible to have the option to show near each circle some small text with eye piece name, or focal length / fov  (e.g.: 13/100 for the Ethos 13mm)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 01:26:30 PM by StarChild »

halx

• Administrator
  • DSO Developer
    • View Profile
    • DobMod
Re: Instrument FOV in Star Chart
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 06:57:05 PM »
I'm personally getting rid of eyepieces' circles, which have a minuscule benefit on the FOV, as I'm using that set of rings over the map just for the faint objects finding (when hopping with wide FOV) and identification (with smaller FOV). So 3 is usually enough:

After finding the object, I can change eyepieces to whatever I want for a better view, and I don't need these rings anymore. But your concern is genuine :) We can implement that as a screen option. How would you like to see that implemented?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 07:17:05 PM by halx »
-Alex

StarChild

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 07:02:37 PM »
Hello again @halx  ;D

Maybe a check box in each eye piece's properties window (where we define focal length and FOV)  or as a check box at telescope properties window, when adding eye pieces. Wherever it also convenient from development point of view.

halx

• Administrator
  • DSO Developer
    • View Profile
    • DobMod
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 07:09:03 PM »
It is like that already. The checkbox on the right from eyepiece (in the EP database) makes the ring for that EP visible. I mean, how we should mark these rings on the Start Chart? I guess a text label is the most obvious, but you might have an idea where exactly and how to show it?
-Alex

halx

• Administrator
  • DSO Developer
    • View Profile
    • DobMod
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 07:19:14 PM »
Oh, and for turning these EP text labels on/off there will be a common single checkbox in the General Settings for the Star Chart.
-Alex

StarChild

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 08:24:10 PM »
Text label is fine. Like there are N S W E .
Text to be EP name ...   

halx

• Administrator
  • DSO Developer
    • View Profile
    • DobMod
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 08:36:40 PM »
What I don't actually see - is how it could be done reliably and neatly, looking at your picture.
1. Curved text along the EP FOV contour - will interfere with the second contour nearby and perhaps with its label too, depending on the font size (changing the label angle - does not look neat)...
2. Straight text within the circle will be hard to relate to any contour at all...
3. Maybe a guide line from the contour outwards with the text at its end (like an explanation arrow)?
4. Maybe a centered text labels relating to the rings only by sequence (variable distance from an actual ring edge)?
-Alex

StarChild

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 08:57:50 PM »
I would prefere option 1 but for close circles it will look awkward as you've mentioned. There might be a way, if the text is not always in the same side of circles.
Let's say, for the first circle the text is at 10 (11) o'clock, for the second circle the text could be at 1 (2) o'clock, on the 3rd circle the text should be again at 10 (11) o'clock ..... and so on.
 In this way if 2 circles are too close the text might not be overlaping ....  just an idea...

halx

• Administrator
  • DSO Developer
    • View Profile
    • DobMod
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 09:23:05 PM »
That's what I said - changing the label angle.

IMO, it will not look nice with some close and some loose rings. Some of the rings will cross through the text anyway, making it less readable (unless we implement a separate color for the ring labels). It will create chaotic clutter on the chart, and also require recalculation of the variable text length to prevent overlaps, especially at various zoom levels (slowing down the drawing). At some zoom level close rings may became one, and labels are useless again. So, probably we'd better hide labels at some zoom. And it looks like it's better to avoid using a too long EP names for labels, so EP AFOV and focus, as you have suggested should look better, I guess. But are they informative enough?

I like the #4 visually, it's easy to count rings from 1 to 5 and correspond them to the single neat column of EP names, above the middle part of the outmost fully visible ring (no shading of the AFOV as there is always space on a vertical screen at the top). No need for curved text (that also will eat resources), the column could be compact, instead of scattering to the very center of the screen. And we can easily track the zoom and remove EPs labels, which rings are behind the screen border. Just treat that approach not as a rings labels, but as a chart's legend. What do you think?
-Alex

StarChild

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 10:01:46 PM »
Yes, I think it could work out just fine also you propose.
At the end of the day, i could live happily also with just "1, 2, 3, 4, 5" text near circles somewhere, where these numbers represent the "index" of the EP attached to the telescope. So no need for too long text and description. Just a way to identify which circle is for which EP. Whatever you can implment, no matter how simple or "minimalist" it is, it's stil much better than nothing.

halx

• Administrator
  • DSO Developer
    • View Profile
    • DobMod
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 10:38:20 PM »
Let's stick with the "Legend", as it's much more informative. You can count the rings 1,2,3... easily without any numbers unreliably attached, instead of remembering which number belongs to which EP :)

Thank you for helping with brainstorming.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 10:48:57 PM by halx »
-Alex

Emil K

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 11:05:31 AM »
Halx,
You know that I love you dont you?
What about my 1 year old request for CCD FOV?

Take care
Emil

leonid

• Administrator
  • DSO Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 11:50:06 AM »
Did you look at Settings/AstroEquipment/Eyepieces Database/Menu/Add CCD?

StarChild

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 11:53:54 AM »
Did you look at Settings/AstroEquipment/Eyepieces Database/Menu/Add CCD?

I realy love this app, day by day  :) I have now my DSLR field shown on the Star Chart... great!

Emil K

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 12:04:20 PM »
 :-X quilty